[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jazz Festival Name Change

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Aug 24 13:08:35 PDT 2011

Mike Marois Mike.Marois at HireLiveMusic.com wrote regarding the recent name change of the Sacramento Jazz Festival:

> To me the title of the press release should be "R.I.P. Sacramento Jubilee".
> This is what happens when you don't follow your mission statement and let
> outsiders influence your direction all driven by the almighty buck.

Mike,

We are still following our mission statement.  By presenting a successful Music festival, we are able to continue to present Traditional, Classic Jazz.

I remember years ago when I was very much against having any type of music in the festival except for OKOM, Steven Joseph told me that every time he walked by a venue playing Blues or Zydeco, he stopped and said thank you.  This was because those people were purchasing tickets and enabling us then to present our kind of music.

Facts are facts.  The older people who came to the festival 40 years ago are now either dead or about to die.  They can no longer come to the festival.

We have done everything possible to introduce younger people to our kind of music.  In order to continue to have a festival, we have had to sell tickets to people who do not like banjos, tubas, or Jazz.  Sometimes by having a Zydeco band, someone who comes to see that band ends up seeing a Jazz band and likes it.

For many years Igor's Jazz Cowboys was our top draw, both in attendance as well as CD sales.  Now a Zydeco band, Tom Rigney and Flambeau is our top draw and has been for 7 or 8 years.

Bands do not play for free.  Companies do not rent us chairs, tables, tents and any number of things we need to put on a festival for free.  It takes the "All mighty buck" to put on a festival, whether you like it or not.  Business is business.

Office space, telephone lines, computers, fax machines, lights, heating, air conditioning, wages, storage space, printing, paper clips, staples, advertising I.e. radio, TV, bill boards, newspaper, and many other necessary expenses, all cost money.

We are not the Government.  When the government needs more money, it either borrows it or prints more.  No one is going to continue to loan us more money and the Secret Service would frown on us printing our own.  Thus, we have to sell tickets.  It is a fact of life.

How long could you run your household or business  while spending more money each year then what you take in?  How long would the banks, or anyone else continue to loan you money?

I am sorry, but we have to "Get real..."  Things are what they are these days.  It is not the "Good Ol' Days" any longer.

Many OKOM festivals have gone away in the past 10 years or so.  Pismo Beach used to have two festivals a year and sold out both of them.  Now they have one per year and do not sell out.

Jazz In The Olympics and Orange County have just gone away and there are several more that are presently on the edge.

I know of one which would be broke now if it wasn't for someone with mucho bux supporting it.  We work very hard to get sponsors and underwriters but everyone is looking for a handout these days.  Companies are really stretched thin and grants are hard to come by.

  I hope you would agree that having a music festival with OKOM, Swing, Western Swing, Blues, big band and yes, even some Rock
, is certainly preferable to not having a festival at all?  And I hope you realize that if we closed our festival as Orange County and Puget Sound just did, a promoter in Sacramento would pick up the Memorial Day weekend and have a festival with no Classic Jazz at all.

> What
> will happen is within 3-5 years there will be a token jazz band, more than
> likely a pick up group, to tie the festival back to it's roots.

Not as long as present company are involved.  However, who knows what will happen in 30 years.  I won't be here and neither will most of us.  We will have no control at that point.  At least now we are surviving.  That is more than I can say about a lot of festivals.

Best,

--Bob Ringwald