[Dixielandjazz] playing for young audience

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 12:56:42 PDT 2011

Hello Tito,
The recordings are from 1983; there was more young audience for traditional
jazz then than there is now.  The Edinburgh Jazz Festival was predominantly
traditional (that includes swing).  The Breda Festival was still labelled
"Old Style Jazz Festival," and Sacto was still "Dixieland Jubilee."  Even
the North Sea Jazz Festival still featured a fair amount of traditional
jazz: in 1983 I heard there Doc Cheatham, Dick Wellstood, Dick Hyman, Bob
Wilber, Kenny Davern (with Dick Hyman and Vic Dickenson), Waso, The
Jaa-o-Matic Four, and many more.  But things have changed.  Breda has become
"Breda Jazz Festival," North Sea hardly features anything I recognize as
jazz, even Sacto has dropped "Dixieland" from its name.  Thus, good as the
performances are, they do not really indicate how much you can attract young
audiences today.  Newr videos are required.
But, as Steve has mentioned many times, and as I have pointed out while
writing about our younger bands, young audiences still dig OKOM when exposed
thereto.
Cheers