[Dixielandjazz] playing for young audience

Tito Martino titomartino at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 09:41:29 PDT 2011

Hi Steve

oh, my!  you've been extremely restrained and modest in that mail!
You're actually a champion of living Jazz, oposed to dead Jazz and a
well succeded leader of a band working 150+ gigs yearly !
And with higher fees than any other band around there !

So your words are to be taken very seriously, YOU are clearly REALISTIC in
your OPTIMISM.

I try to do the same around here, in a much lesses scale.

That's why I can't agree with our listmate Robert Duis.

Dear Duis

 I saw your Band playing in youtube, like very much, there
is the old arranged big-band style;

and  here you can see my Band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD_mAlG8k9c   Since my Best Gal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZAPnDhnLjs&feature=related      C Jam Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWnX6O1_tEY     Bourbon St. Parade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxmbmbVStjc       Rose Room

I wish you remark the YOUNG people in the audience and see their reactions
especially to CJam Bues.

These clips are a little old but my Band is basically the same today
and we keep playing to young audiences!

You can see the difference between the kind of Jazz you play and the kind of
Jazz I play
and that it reaches to the youngs.

 keep on swinging!

Tito Martino

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Stephen G Barbone <
barbonestreet at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2011, at 2:39 PM, Robert Duis wrote:
>

>      Dear "ALL"...........
>
>                   Regarding the Interesting discussion about the OH YEAH
> DAY:
>
>  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                    My name is robert duis (74) and fanatic amateur
> traditional jazz performer as the leader of the www.limehouse-jazzband.nl
>
>                    I think an "Oh Yeah Day" (Tamas ' idea) is "better" than
> a Louis Armstrong or a Duke Ellington or a Bix Beiderbecke Day....
>                    ................when trying to interest younger people
> to the Traditional Jazz but I am a realist and I am a pessimist in this
> respect:
>
>                    Better put energy and activities in trying to enlarge
> the 60+ market for OUR music than thinking to reach a younger 30- market. NO
> CHANCE!!!!!
>
>                    Mozart / Beethoven / Chopin / Louis Armstrong and even
> The Beatles are "stations" that do NOT come back..............
>
>                    Invite your neighbour of 60+ instead of her / his son of
> 30- for your concert.  Thinking of 20 / 15 / 10 year young girls and boys is
> not more than STUPID!
>
>                    The Concertgebouw in Amsterdam has 2.000 seats. Give
> 2.000 tickets free of charge to young people for a concert of the very best
> Traditional JAZZERS in the world
>                    and the Theatre stays empty or will be full of the
> parents and the grandparents of these kids who gave their tickets away and
> .......... do not be disappointed and/or angry about that.
>
>                    Nobody stops the "Wonderful World of Louis!"
>

> Dear Robert & others:
>
> I respectfully disagree and have posted many examples over the past 10
> years of how to play for YOUNG people. By simply playing at venues where
> they are, drinking, dancing and having a good time. Not to belabor the
> point, see the below jpgs.,etc. My band does these kinds of gigs MANY times
> a year and this explains why we have so many gigs in comparison to bands
> that only court old folks. Young people venues is where the action is. Been
> like that ever since the ODJB hit Chicago and NYC circa 1917. Most old folks
> don't go out any more.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

> --