[Dixielandjazz] Dead Man Blues - Jazz in Marciac 2011

Paul Kurtz Jr kurtzph at comcast.net
Tue Aug 16 12:11:01 PDT 2011

I think Wynton's a great player. (coming from a trumpeter) I liked his classical stuff when a number of people didn't. I didn't agree with all of his comments and with his down-playing of such great trumpeters as Harry James. But! He's added to the art, given a great deal of time, money, and effort to kids and does bring back a lot of things. Some of his recent collaborations have been FASCINATING!
One of the biggest criticisms of his has been at times that he doesn't put expression in his music. That's a very deceptive thing, though. I attended a Wynton Marsalis/Marcus Roberts concert here in Jacksonville a little over a year ago with a student of mine who seemed to like Marcus better for that very reason. I asked Devon, "Did you know that on Saints, he (Wynton) slurred up from G above the treble staff to 4th-line G?" He (Devon) said he didn't. I told him that's the very reason Wynton appears not to be putting the same level of spirit (translated effort) into his music. He's just plainly technically gifted and does things with ease that others struggle with.
And, Wynton simply has my vote for helping keep the music alive.
Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL