[Dixielandjazz] Dead Man Blues - Jazz in Marciac 2011

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 07:30:40 PDT 2011

Hi,
I have seen the entire Marsalis performance (not just "Dead Man
Blues") on Mezzo (a French music channel) before.  I'm with Gary on
this - I like the performance on the whole  (without going into the
technical stuff referred to by Paul Kurtz Jnr.).  I also liked some
other traditional performances by Marsalis, but not his "modern"
playing.
I tried to like Al Hirt.  Back in 1961, when I was in regular army
service, my mother went to the US and brought me back some records,
among them - an Al Hirt-Pete Fountain LP on Verve.  I was very
impressed by the "two bearded giants" blurb in the liner notes, but
much less so - by the playing.  I liked Fountain and the others, all
except for the "boppish" (for lack of better description) playing of
Al Hirt.  I still have the record and occasionally play it, and always
get the same impression.

Daniel Huck is a different proposition.  I heard him live in Nice, and
was very impressed.  Not too crazy about his singing, but his playing
was wonderful!  I did not know he played other kinds of music.

Cheers