[Dixielandjazz] Lino Patruno was Vache, Polcer and Havens with Italians

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 07:44:59 PDT 2011

Dear Steve,

I did NOT "discover him via You Tube."
Actually, I have known Patruno for ages.  In my original reply, I even
stated that "Lino was in charge of some of the best international
sessions, as documented on various GHB/Jazzology CDs.

He is on quite a few good LPs as well, with Joe Vnuti, for example."
Patruno was in charge of some international all-star programmes in
Ascona (which I have on CD).

I have a CD by another good Italian player, the clarinettinst Paolo
Tomelleri, and one by a band calling itself "Dr. Dixie," which, at
least on the CD I have, indicates that - it is NOT a Dixieland band!
Pretty good, but with guests on all numbers, which makes evaluation of
the band itself difficult.  But it swings like hell.

I know Romano Musollini, but he was a bit out of my frame of reference
(not completely, though).

 Mostly lovely music, even if the accent of
> at least one singer was rather dubious (I, with my heavy Polish
> accent, should talk!).
> Anyway, I strongly recommend that listmates watch other Patruno videos
> as well - lots of wonderful music there!
> Cheers
>
> Dear Marek:
> Unfortunately my Italian is non-existent. My dad insisted on us NOT speaking
> Italian at home (because we were "Americans") and so I never learned the
> language.
> About Patruno, he is a wonderful musician and I am glad you (and hopefully
> others) have discovered him via You Tube. Every once in a while he visits
> New York City and performs there.
> There are MANY other wonderful Italian OKOM bands and jazz musicians.

Would you care to mention any?  The only one I've heard live is the
Milan Jazz Gang, but that was back in 1984.

Cheers

 Some