[Dixielandjazz] FW: Last hurrah

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Apr 26 05:18:18 PDT 2011

Bob Brodsky wrote:

>There appears to be more interest in trad music by young people in other
countries, according to listing inputs I get. I hope its true- tho I wonder
of the authenticity of their music? But I do fear that this may just be a
memory, like the big band era, in just a few years.

Bob, as you say, there does seem to be more interest in other countries than
in the U.S.  That is certainly so in Spain where I perform.  There is no
particular "catergorizing" of styles here....you either enjoy the music or
not, without trying to "look deeply" for something or meaningful.  Enjoy is
the key word!

You mention "authenticity".  I'm not sure how to understand that!  The only
really authentic stuff was performed by the originals that started it all.
I would hope that from that original sound others have followed and added
their own personal stamp to the original.

I wouldn't like to be playing "authentic jazz" as I would interpret that as
being a direct copy of what someone else has done before.  I much prefer our
daily changing (hopefully improving each time) style of jazz with flavors &
hints of the original.

That creates a living, advancing music that will continue to please young &
old alike...as long as they have an open mind to all styles of music.  If it
swings, it's good jazz!

Cheers, Jim