[Dixielandjazz] FW: Last hurrah

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 10:55:54 PDT 2011

George H. Buck of GHB-Jazzology records has long claimed to have the
largest catalogue of authentic jazz.

Of course, that catalogue includes such "authenti" musicians as Tony
Parenti, Wild Bill Davison, Art Hodes, George Lewis, etc.  But it also
includes lots of "revivalists."  If what they play is not just copying
(sometimes it is) but rather creating their own music, then it's
"authentic."
But you are right, Jim - the word "autheticity" is problematic, and
harks back to the "mouldy figs" vs. "modernists" days, both camps
practically ignoring "swing."  Th "figs" considered "traditional jazz"
"authentic," as oppsed to anything else that came under the name
"jazz."

Cheers