[Dixielandjazz] St Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Sep 26 19:17:21 PDT 2010

Bob (and all)

There was a major style change for New Orleans Brass Bands in the late
1980s when the Dirty Dozen and ReBirth bands started up. While some of
the older bands continued in the "old school,"  younger bands were
playing with more modern jazz, funk, soul and R&B influences. In the
years that followed, even the old line Olympia, Treme,  and Eureka
bands have mixed in a lot of the newer song selections and playing
styles.  They can still play the "old-fashion way" but the audience is
wanting the new...

St. Gabriel's Celstial Brass Band, being from the West Coast (with
some solid New Orleans connections) has more of the new feel than old
- I have played with them several times and it is quite a change from
my  experiences in more traditional New Orleans Brass Bands.  Fun and
Challenging!

Dave Richoux