[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Fisher RIP

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Sep 25 07:29:26 PDT 2010

Eddie Fisher (Washington Post)

Eddie Fisher Dies at 82
by Matt Schudel
Washington Post, September 25, 2010

Eddie Fisher, a pop-singing sensation of the 1950s who was at the center of one of
Hollywood's most notorious romantic scandals when he divorced actress Debbie Reynolds
to marry Elizabeth Taylor, died Sept. 22 at his home in Berkeley, Calif. He was 82
and had complications from recent hip surgery.
Mr. Fisher vaulted to fame in the early 1950s, selling tens of millions of records
and charting dozens of Top 10 hits, including "Tell Me Why," "I'm Walking Behind
You" and "Oh, My Pa-Pa." His beckoning tenor voice made him America's favorite teen
idol in the years just before rock-and-roll made his stiff, heavily orchestrated
music obsolete.
His stardom was soon overshadowed by the lurid drama surrounding his all-too-public
love life. In 1955, he married the pert and popular Reynolds, and they were soon
dubbed "America's favorite couple." They starred in the movie "Bundle of Joy" in
1956 and soon had two children of their own, including actress Carrie Fisher, who
later played Princess Leia in "Star Wars."
The Fishers were close friends with Taylor and her husband at the time, Hollywood
producer Mike Todd. After Todd was killed in an airplane crash in March 1958, Mr.
Fisher consoled the grieving Taylor, and a romance soon bloomed. The public turned
against Mr. Fisher when he divorced Reynolds in 1959 and married Taylor.
The glamorous couple had homes in Italy and Switzerland and were constant fodder
for the gossip mill. In later years, Mr. Fisher said he tried in vain to get Taylor
to limit her heavy drinking and pleaded with the servants to cut her off after five
cocktails.
Taylor said she found Mr. Fisher equally unstable. According to her memoirs, she
awoke one night in their Italian villa to find him pointing a gun at her head.
"Don't worry, Elizabeth," he said, in the words of the memoir. "I'm not going to
kill you. You're too beautiful."
Mr. Fisher had a role in the 1960 drama "Butterfield 8," for which Taylor won an
Oscar as best actress, but by then he was already fading from fame. But when Taylor
went to Rome a year later to film "Cleopatra," she fell into the arms of her co-star
Richard Burton.
Awkwardly hoping for a reconciliation, Mr. Fisher became the most famous cuckold
in the world and was the butt of comedy routines and salacious scandal sheets. When
he called Taylor at one of their homes, Burton answered the phone and explained in
crudely graphic terms exactly why he was there with Taylor.