[Dixielandjazz] "Identical" mouthpieces

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Fri Sep 10 04:32:29 PDT 2010

"Identical" mouthpieces are not the same.

I found out how much mouthpieces that have exactly the same number
stamped on them vary in dimensions  when I was trying out mouthpieces
for my trumpet.  The music store had just received 12 "identical"
mouthpieces manufactured by a highly reputable company, so I snagged
all 12 to try them out in the store's back room.

Going through the set, I immediately discarded 4 that were too"stuffy".
  Within the next 20 minutes another 4 were set aside which didn't
produce the sound I was looking for. After another 10 minutes i was
down to 3, but I had determined, and was most certain, that there was
indeed a single mouthpiece which stood out from the rest.  I set it
aside and focused on the other two.  After 5 minutes of various
exercises, I selected 1 of the pair.

Then it came time to pit it against my 1st choice,  When I compared the
final pair, there was absolutely no doubt that my first choice was the
"better" of the pair, though by a very slight margin, nearly negligible
in tone production and response.

I made my purchase and have been tremendously happy with the
mouthpiece, going on 9 years now.  In the long run,  I'd prefer having
that mouthpiece over having a "soulmate".

Note:  I've always thought that, having gone to the point of finding
that 2nd mouthpiece that was so close in the running, that I should
have bought it too, for "insurance" should anything happen to the one I
have.

Here's my concern:  I know that I've played what I'm sure are millions
of notes through that mouthpiece.  One day I pointed the mouthpiece at
the sky and looked through the tiny hole at the bottom of the cup, and
suddenly it occurred  to me, " All I do is blow hot air ( of which I
have plenty) through that little tiny hole, and it magically transforms
that air into notes" -  --so I have a question regarding the mystical
powers of that tiny hole:  "How do it know ? ! ! !"

I'm glad that I was able to find the right hole.  Not everyone does.
Having heard my story, I may have created lingering doubts among many
of you as to whether or not you really do have the perfect mouthpiece -
- - the one just right for you. i hope you don't lose sleep over it.

When I die, I'd like to have my body reduced to a fine mist, and have
it air blown through the mouthpiece to see what tone the mouthpiece
produces.  . . . .  hopefully something magnificent, absolutely pure in
tone and quality.   But then again, knowing my personality, probably
something resembling flatulence will result.  Unfortunately I won't be
around to hear the results, so I'll never know, will I ?

  . . .  and so it goes...
Bill Sharp