[Dixielandjazz] left Handed Trombopnes

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 10 06:54:18 PDT 2010

> "ROBERT R. CALDER" <serapion at btinternet.com> wrote (polite snip)
>

> Presumably somebody has asked Slide about this?

 From an interview of Slide Hampton by Bob Bemotas
Question: Let's talk about the trombone for a while. You play left-
handed. How did that come about?

Answer: See, our training was coming from our father, and he hadn't
had any formal training, and my mother also, who had probably studied
some on piano. My father was a natural player. He played saxophone and
drums. As the kids were born he would give them an instrument and
teach them as much about it as he knew, and then you'd go out on your
own and learn everything else. And so we were mostly all self-taught.

They gave me the trombone left-handed and I played it that way. It's
the only thing I do with my left hand. I did study with a few
different teachers, but they never tried to influence me to play right-
handed.

The complete interview, of possible interest to sliphorn players  is at;

http://www.trombone.org/articles/library/slidehampton-int.asp

Cheers,

Steve Barbone

www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband