[Dixielandjazz] Chu Berry Tribute on BBC

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 8 13:38:06 PDT 2010

 >From Paul Barnes,
It’s Chu’s centenary this weekend (13th), so I’ll be giving him a good spin
on Saturday. He was of the Hawkins/Webster school of tenor playing and
recorded alongside them with Lionel Hampton. He was with Fletcher Henderson
in 1936 and wrote “Christopher Columbus”, Henderson’s biggest hit. Later he
worked in Cab Calloway’s orchestra alongside Dizzy Gillespie. It was with
this band that he was featured on the classic “Ghost of a Chance”.

Alas, he died shortly after his 31st birthday but he left some fine
hard-swinging performances on record.

Another tenor player from the same school has a birthday this weekend: Scott
Hamilton. Stand by for some meaty sounds.

And I’ll be paying a modest tribute to British bop accordionist Tito Burns
who died recently at the age of 82.

Live show goes out at 23:00 BST on Saturday (22:00 UTC) and will be
available live from
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_norfolk

and for seven days following the broadcast at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002mhdx
Please e-mail Paul at :
paul.barnes at bbc.co.uk
and let him know what you think of the show. Your feedback is important
and helps to keep jazz on BBC radio.

--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com