[Dixielandjazz] Origin of "When the Saints..."

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 15 05:00:21 PDT 2010

We tend to think that `The saints` has always been around,. maybe for a bit
longer in the USA but I remember it being so new here a National Daily
during the war printed the words together with a write up.
I was around 12/13 yrs old and cannot recall the circumstances but I assume
it was something to do with the first arrivals in the UK of coloured US
troops. Most people in the UK, unless they lived in Liverpool or some other
dock area  had not seen a coloured person before.

This probably gave rise to the joke

`What do you think of these American soldiers?`
`Oh they are OK, but I don`t think much of those white guys they brought
with them`

Cheers

Pat