[Dixielandjazz] Origin of "When the Saints..."

Ingemar Wågerman gotariver at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 03:02:56 PDT 2010

Is "When the Saints" a Negro Spiritual? Was it played in New Orleans
around 1900? Interesting questions. Some facts:

In1896, a song "When the Saints ARE Marching in" was published in "Songs
of the Soul No 2", edited by James M. Black (who was white!) The melody
and lyrics are quite different from the song we all know, "When the
Saints GO Marching in".

According to James Fuld ("Book of World-Famous Music") "there is a
widespread but unsubstantiated rumor that the spiritual was played in
New Orleans about 1900." Louis Armstrong talked about hearing the song
as a child, played both as a hymn and more joyous after the funerals.

There is a LC tape where Papa Celestin discusses how he learned and
incorporated "When the Saints" to the New Orleans music scene. He moved
to New Orleans in 1904 and played there before 1910. The tape is not
available at the moment but I hope to get information later.

"When the Saints Go Marching HOME" was published under that title in
"The Island Song Book", privately printed in Chicago, January 1927. The
"native songs" from Treasure Island in the Bahamas were collected by
John and Evelyn McCutcheon. I have not seen this book and I can not tell
if it is the same melody and lyrics as "When the Saints GO Marching in".

The same year, 1927, it was printed in "Spirituals Triumphant Old and
New" by Edward Boatner (black), this time with the "GO" title.

Before that, it was recorded several times, first by Paramount Jubilee
Singers 1923. The song is "our" WTS, but the title on the label (Pm
12073) is "When ALL the Saints COME Marching In".

Sam Butler ("Bo Weavil Jackson") recorded it in 1926 as "When the Saints
COME Marching HOME". There are several other variants, too.

In 1998 there was a newspaper article "He wrote ´When the Saints Go
Marching In´ for $5" about how Virgil Stamps and Luther Presley wrote
the song in 1937! They made an arrangement of it, that´s all! Maybe the
article tried to convince the readers that WTS is a white gospel tune.
It is not!

The question remains: What is the origin of "our" When the Saints?

Ingemar Wågerman, Gota River Jazzmen, Sweden