[Dixielandjazz] Art Tatum (was Mary Lou Williams)

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Fri Oct 15 17:37:58 PDT 2010

Bill Haesler wrote:
> I also found that Frank Paparelli (1917-73) made a living transcribing for
> sheet music the recorded work of  famous jazz artists including Art Tatum,
> Teddy Wilson, Louis Armstrong, etc, for Milt Raskin and Lou Levy,
> president of Leeds music.
> "In 1941 he [Paparelli] wrote 'Eight To The Bar' the first method book
> written on the subject and considered to be the best. It was a big hit and
> Leeds Music made lots of money with various deals they promoted on it.
> Frank made two cents on every book and some glory."... "Frank began to
> write for the 'Five for One Series' - solos transcribed from the original
> versions of the most famous boogie and blues pianists at that time. Each
> book contained five solos and piano notations on the artist's style. Frank
> contacted many of the artists personally. Some of these were Count Basie,
> Nat Cole, Mary Lou Williams, Clarence 'Pinetop' Smith, Buddy Johnson, Jim
> Yancey, Sammy Price, also Earl Hines and Irene Higginbotham, Art Tatum."

In 1943 DOWNBEAT published a book 88 KEYS TO FAME by Frank Paparelli and
Morris Feldman. This contained transcriptions of solos by 30 different
pianists, along with biographies and photographs. This was published in
Australia by Davis & Co., a long established music house. It was serialised
in the Australian monthly TEMPO, although as I recall, the photographs
weren't used. Possibly not all 30 were printed either, but I haven't time to
check that out at the moment.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell