[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 15 07:38:25 PDT 2010

>  Daniel Barrett <danpbarrett at hotmail.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
> I submit all Louis had to do was play (and sing) like Louis
> Armstrong, whether as a young man, an old man, or anywhere in
> between. The genuinely hip folk out there got the message.
> throughout the years.  Whether one thinks of it as "old" or
> "modern," "groundbreaking" or "out-of-date," it was a message as
> solid and true as the Rock of Gibraltar. No one else has played like
> he did--ever.  I wish I could have heard him in person. I'm sure
> thankful the recordings exist.

Amen Dan.

IMO.

Louis was easily the most influential jazz man of the first half of
the 20th century and arguably the most influential jazz man of the
entire century.

He was also arguably the finest musical entertainer of the 20th century.

We all owe Louis, no matter what instrument, (including voice) or
style of jazz we play.

I am one of the lucky ones who saw him perform several times with
various versions of the all stars, and talked with him twice. It was
an unforgettable experience.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband