[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: For trombone players

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Oct 13 13:26:23 PDT 2010

WILLIAM SHARP asked:

> ... is this really possible, by multitrack
> recording, by one person?

Yes, if the player is good enough.  McChesney is good enough.

> Or is it all done on synthesizer,

I don't think so. The unison passages are just enough out of tune that they
sound like overdubs.

> or is it computer generated?

The sheet music appears to be computer engraved/printed, using a font that
emulates a "jazz manuscript" style. I think the audio was recorded, live, in
multiple takes.

> It is so tight, that I can't imagine it actually
> being done by humans.

I can. A drummer, a bass player, and one trombonist recorded four times on
the four parts.

Did they later doctor the speed? I dunno.

Did they clean up any ensemble issues (if one player playing four parts is
an ensemble) in the sound lab? I dunno.

But I don't doubt for a minute that McChesney is a good enough player to
have done four takes on four parts, all in real time with no doctoring, and
that's what we're hearing.

Jim O'Briant
Tuba
Gilroy, CA