[Dixielandjazz] Ike Smith (Mabel's - or Maybelle's - Dream) composer info?

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Nov 28 10:16:48 PST 2010

Hi all,

Over on the  Redhot Jazz list, the question about the composer of
"Mabel's Dream" has come up with a lot of blanks. I don't have access
to any of my reference books (moving again) and most Internet searches
don't yield much of value. Some modern groups that recorded the song
say the original title was spelled "Maybelle"s Dream" but I can't
prove that either. King Oliver released it as "Mabel's Dream" about a
year after the song was written.

Anybody have more info on this mysterious composer and the song?

Dave Richoux