[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 95, Issue 28

anichols at gis.net anichols at gis.net
Sun Nov 28 07:27:00 PST 2010

Steve,
   Thanks for sending along Jonathan's youtube, and what ambition to
transcribe the Grappelli arrangements. A curse, I'll admit, but I find it
hard to listen too long to Jonathan and his occasional faulty intonation.
Probably a curse from Grappelli who was so precise where he landed on the
fingerboard. Still young, I hope Jonathan practices his scales.

   Another Grappelli observation and why I think he ended up playing with
non brass small ensembles: the keys he played in mostly were fiddle
friendly keys: Stardust in C; Blue Moon in D; As Time Goes By in D; After
You've Gone in G; Out Of Nowhere in G; How High The Moon in G; Ain't
Misbehaivin in D, etc. Friendly keys aside, I think there's a clash of
sonorities listening to polyphony between a trumpet and a fiddle playing
jazz.

  I played fiddle with a trad jazz band for a couple of years and excused
myself from their good front line. Besides lacking a certain technical
proficiency, I was feeling that clash. And say what one might, instrument
friendly keys make music so much easier to play.

Norman Nichols
BPOLR (Banjo Player of Last Resort)