[Dixielandjazz] Ike Smith (Mabel's - or Maybelle's - Dream) composer info?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Nov 28 18:54:27 PST 2010

David M Richoux wrote [in part]:
> .......the question about the composer of "Mabel's Dream" has come up with a lot of blanks. ........Some modern groups that recorded the song say the original title was spelled "Maybelle"s Dream" ....... King Oliver released it as "Mabel's Dream" about a year after the song was written.
> Anybody have more info on this mysterious composer and the song?

Dear Dave,
I have already noticed, that on the same Red Hot Jazz blog site, DJMLer Bob Smith wrote [also in part]:
"'Mabel's Dream' ...... was copyrighted on November 16, 1923 ..... about one month after King
Oliver recorded it. 'I'm Going Away To Wear You Off My Mind' wasn't composed by Ike Smith, but by
Warren Smith, Lloyd Smith, and Clarence Johnson. I'm not surprised at this surmise, we Smiths have the second most common surname on the planet."
(Dear Bob, what about Ng?)
The reference to the alternative title "Maybelle's Dream" is contained in Eric Townley's 1976 book, 'Tell Your Story' (Storyville Publications) and states:
" Probably an incorrect title as that on the sheet music is Maybelle's Dream. It is not known whether Mabel or Maybelle was factual or fictional, though she may possibly have been a relative of the composer, Ike Smith."

Certainly the composer credit for "Mabel's Dream", Ike Smith, is given on both the Okeh and Paramount labels for the King Oliver recordings.
An Ike Smith recorded in 1935 and it would be temping to assume that this is the same man. So far as I can find, no composer credit for the two tunes are given on the Champion label, although som assume they are by smith. Musically they aren't all that good, especially the topical Joe Louis song.

Ike Smith And His Chicago Boys. 	Champion 50040
prob. Arnett Nelson (cl) Joe Walker (as) Ike Smith (p/vcl) John Lindsay (sb)
Chicago, September 7, 1935
90311-A    Fighting Joe Louis
90312-A    Chicago State Street Blues

The master numbers are consistent with those allocated to Decca's Chicago studios after Champion was sold to Decca by Gennett.
Incidentally, Warren Smith and Lloyd Smith (mentioned by Bob Smith above) composed"Jelly's Blues/My Good Man's Blues' recorded by Sara Martin for Okeh on 3 August 1923.
Very kind regards,
Bill.