[Dixielandjazz] Struttin' with some Armstrong

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 11:59:35 PST 2010

Hello Anton,
De gustibus non disputandum est!
Dullness, like beauty, apparently lies in the ears of the listener.  I
find both versions exhilarating - but then, I've believed the 1927
version exhilarating since I first heard it many years ago.

On 19/11/2010, Anton Crouch <anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Thanks to Steve B for drawing our attention to the Armstrong Hot Fives
> of December 1927. When it comes to the two "Struttin' with some
> barbecue"s which Steve has posted, it's hard to choose - for me, both
> are dull!
>
> OK, I'm ducking. BUT, the issue that I'm raising is Armstrong's
> metamorphosis into the "great soloist" at the expense of the ensemble.
> Armstrong is brilliant on all 6 sides from December 1927 but the other
> four players give the impression of just going through their paces.
> Also, does anyone think that adding Lonnie Johnson to the group improves it?

Yes.  I love Lonnie Johnson's playing.  And I also love his playing
(not necessarily - singing) with the later big bands.  OK, perhaps I'm
not as mouldy as I've tried to paint myself.  I love New Orleans
music, but I also love a swinging, melodic soloist.  The great
difference between a combo and a big band is that the latter is only
as good as its soloists, while the former is often better than the sum
total of the individual players.

> When Armstrong returned to the studio in June 1928, things were
> different - Ory, Dodds, Hardin and St Cyr were gone and he was in the
> company of Earl Hines. Brilliant, yes, but is it art?  :-)

Definitely - yes.  Lovely stuff.  although I must admit that I like
the earlier Hot Fives and Sevens better - including the 1927 ones.

Cheers