[Dixielandjazz] Struttin' with some Armstrong

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 19 12:17:33 PST 2010

Anton Crouch wrote [in part]:
>  the issue ..... is Armstrong's metamorphosis into the "great soloist" at the expense of the ensemble. Armstrong is brilliant on all 6 sides from December 1927 but the other four players give the impression of just going through their paces. Also, does anyone think that adding Lonnie Johnson to the group improves it?
> When Armstrong returned to the studio in June 1928, things were different - Ory, Dodds, Hardin and St Cyr were gone and he was in the company of Earl Hines. Brilliant, yes, but is it art?  :-)

Dear Anton,
After reading the above, Bill retired to his bed with an attack of near-apoplexy with the doona pulled over his head.
He is still and bed, refusing breakfast and mumbling something about "Barbone, yes, but not Anton."
I am sure that when he recovers from the shock, he will reply to your outrageous denigration of the Armstrong Hot Five records.
Even I know how great they were, after being force-fed the music from when Bill started taking me out when I was only sweet sixteen.
With love and best wishes,
Jess [Haesler]