[Dixielandjazz] Struttin' with some Armstrong

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Thu Nov 18 22:55:06 PST 2010

Hello all

Thanks to Steve B for drawing our attention to the Armstrong Hot Fives
of December 1927. When it comes to the two "Struttin' with some
barbecue"s which Steve has posted, it's hard to choose - for me, both
are dull!

OK, I'm ducking. BUT, the issue that I'm raising is Armstrong's
metamorphosis into the "great soloist" at the expense of the ensemble.
Armstrong is brilliant on all 6 sides from December 1927 but the other
four players give the impression of just going through their paces.
Also, does anyone think that adding Lonnie Johnson to the group improves it?

When Armstrong returned to the studio in June 1928, things were
different - Ory, Dodds, Hardin and St Cyr were gone and he was in the
company of Earl Hines. Brilliant, yes, but is it art?  :-)

All the best,
Anton