[Dixielandjazz] Davenport Blues, with Scott Hamilton

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 15 00:47:21 PST 2010

David M Richoux wrote [in part]:
> Have you heard the slower version done by Len Barnard's Famous Jazz Band? I don't know if that track is still available but I have it on his 1973 Swaggie recording "Take Me To the Circus."  It is one of my favourites!
> Maybe available on a reissue Swaggie CD called "Brothers in Jazz" with Bob and Len Barnard, but maybe it is not currently in print.

Dear Dave,
Being a bandleader, I keep away from critical comments regarding jazz playing.
Glass houses and all that.
8>)
However I do love facts.
The Len Barnard Famous Jazz Band version of "Davenport Blues" (superbly played by Bob Barnard) on the 1973 Swaggie "Take Me To the Circus" LP was reissued earlier this year on Swaggie CD 422, "Brothers In Jazz'.
It is currently available from Worlds Record, Novato CA, under Bob Barnard's name.
And yes, I do have a (non-financial) connection with Swaggie, having written 100's of cover notes for its owner,Nevill Sherburn, since the early 1960s.
And also because I grew up in jazz from the late 1940s with the Barnard brothers and the other musicians on that CD.
In fact, I spent most of this afternoon with reedman John McCarthy, who is featured on the albums mentioned.
Very kind records,
Bill.