[Dixielandjazz] Alan Fredrickson RIP

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Tue Mar 23 10:08:34 PDT 2010

Mike Johnson wrote:
> I just heard that Alan Fredrickson passed away yesterday-March 21, 2010.
> Alan had been in the hospital for several weeks.
>

> Alan was one of the original founders of the Queen City Jazz Band in Denver,
> Colorado about 55 years ago and for many years has been the leader of the
> Alan Fredrickson Jazz Ensemble.
>

> Mike Johnson

Sorry to hear about the passing of the 'wild man of Jefferson County,'
Alan Fredricksen. His early days with the Queen City JAzz Band helped
bring a revival of trad jazz to the Rocky Mts.
I once played with the early Queen City band on cornet for a month until
local  20 AFofM rep noted that they were not union and that I should not
be working with them. Since most of my work then was in the local, I had
to leave the band (this was 1957 at the old Mon-VueVillage) but it was
fun while it lasted. Saw Alan many times after that while we were still
loiving above him in Evergreen in a small cabin we'd bought and he lived
down Bear Creek canyon in a little side valley.
He left his mark on jazz and on the landscape. As an architect he
designed schools, homes and other buildings in the front range of
Colorado, showing that he was an artist in several ways.
His pixy humor was always fun to hear - my favorite Alan gag story was
about the sole victim of "Gumperson's disease. "  Suspect that when he
went through the heavenly check in and St.Pete asked him how come he got
there, Alan would probably say - "well, turns out I was wrong. There
were two who had Gumperson's Disease and wouldn't you know it would be me!"
Get set, Gabrial, Alan's trombone will likely be louder than your trumpet!.
Goodby, Alan, we'll miss you.
Don Ingle