[Dixielandjazz] Roger Krum Update

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Mar 12 16:55:08 PST 2010

This from Roger's Daughter:

We, Jean, Dan and I, had a meeting with the attending Kaiser Doctor and staff members
from the Eskaton facility this morning.
Jean had met briefly with the doctor earlier in the week and had been given some
disturbing news about my dad's progress and outlook.
Today we were told that he is not progressing as quickly as they would like and that
while his mental and physical status have shown incremental improvement, he has not
shown the significant improvement that they want to see.
This news was quite shocking and disturbing to us, as we had been told by all of
the other doctors that have been involved in my dad's care to look long-term for
improvement and not day to day.
Today, it was clear that this group was looking to the more immediate future to set
a baseline for my dad's recovery.
Of course, we questioned their assessments and the information upon which they were
based.
We pointed out several inconsistencies in information regarding my dad that have
occurred since my dad has been in residence at Eskaton.
They assured us that they would look into everything that we brought up and that
they were all vested in working toward his continued recovery.
But, they wanted to prepare for the fact that he may not improve further or that
he may get worse.
They talked to us about the point in time where he will no longer need skilled nursing
and what that may look like.
Frankly, it was a pretty sobering picture.
While we do want to keep our eyes and minds open and need to be prepared for any
possible outcome, we are not ready to believe that my dad is "as good as he is going
to get."
My dad is not accepting that idea either.
He is aware of what has been discussed and feels adamantly that this preliminary
assessment is incorrect.
He is committed to working hard to get better and we are committed to working with
him.
It has been another tough couple of days, but we are not giving up.
We see his improvement, are standing by him and will continue to passionately advocate
for his care.
Alison

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551

Check out our latest recording at www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm

Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?