[Dixielandjazz] Roy Eldridge - Was Coleman Hawkins Sept 61

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 12 14:24:04 PST 2010

> <richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> Steve, an awarding heart-warming story about the Hawk. Cheers.
>
> Hawk and Louis ~ the problem with any musician, of any kind, would
> be measuring up to Louis.  Satch seemed to do it all with ease,
> playing, singing, entertaining, even acting (often stealing the show
> too). Considering his upbringing and background he managed all this
> without too many gripes.
>
> Of interest to you, and others too we hope ~ the nearest official
> recording dates Hawk made regarding your gig date with him find below.
>
> The Hawk Relaxes (Moodville/Prestige) Feb 61
>
> Good Old Broadway (Moodville/Prestige) Jan 62
>
> The film After Hours with Eldridge may have been around then too.

Richard, Funny you should mention the Roy Eldridge film. The
Southampton Dixie Racing and Clambake Society Jazz Band also played a
concert with him. The night before the Hawkins conceret. Same place,
same $1.80 admission fee. Also an SRO concert, Sept 2, 1961. (Hampton
Arts Theater) I still have that concert poster too. Both concerts were
presented by Charlie Bates, who owned the Tiana Beach Club, where the
SDRCS had a steady weekend gig every summer. The era was straight out
of F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Eldridge was a blast to play alongside. Very funny guy, very POWERFUL
horn. Swung like crazy/ Afterwards, we went to a large estate on
Peconic Bay where a party was in progress. All the "beautiful" people
were there. I scared Roy a bit because I drove him  there in my
Mercedes 300SL Gullwing. He asked how fast it would go and I responded
by getting it up to about 135 MPH on Dune Road, before we had to slow
down to make a left turn towards the bay. It had been timed at 145 on
a local race track previously, but there wasn't enough road to get
there that night.

At the party, he was lionized by a bevy of randy young ladies. The
SDRCS started to play in the huge party room, but after one number,
Roy disappeared. When we took a break, I went outside with a pretty
young lady <grin>, and we happened to spot Roy in the back seat of
someone's Rolls with a young lady of his own.

Those were the days, my friend.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband