[Dixielandjazz] Lil Hardin Armstrong query.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 12 18:09:46 PST 2010

M J (Mike) Logsdon asked:
> On Jim Cullum's broadcast about Lil, some excerpts are played from an LP, of her talking about her life, Louis, the music, etc.  Which LP is this talking on?

Dear Mike,
I assume that it is:
"Satchmo And Me: Lil Armstong's Own Story: A Jazz Documentary"
'Lil Armstrong's own account of the fabulous Chicago jazz era of Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, King Oliver.'
Lil Armstrong (p,talking). Recorded in New York, c. 1958/59
Riverside RLP 12-120.
Side 1.
    Learning the piano
    Early life in Chicago
    With the New Orleans Creole Jazz Band
    King Oliver appears on the scene...with Louis
    First recording date
    Courtship
Side 2.
    The young Louis
    Marriage
    First trumpet, at last
    With Fletcher Henderson in New York
    Return to New Orleans
    The end of a marriage
    Epilogue

Interesting stuff, but something you would listen to every day.
Although, I should take time and relisten to it.
It is not on CD, so far as I know.
There is only one track per side.
The subjects have not been separated with a scroll, so can't be selected.
Kind regards,
Bill.