[Dixielandjazz] Jazz History Awareness

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Wed Mar 10 00:37:41 PST 2010

We Europeans love to yoke about our American fellows sometimes lack of
awareness of their own history. This is a new one I heard and I can´t resist
to share it with all of you. I hope no one will be too offended.

This Sunday afternoon one of our most respected Swedish jazz musician Ulf
Johansson Werre, piano player, trombone player, leader of both big bands and
small combos held a very appreciated piano concert over the theme, Live Jazz
History. He took us on musical journey from classical composers to ragtime,
blues, stride, boogie woggie and finished with more modern piano players
like Oscar Petersen. Anyhow, here is the story he told during the concert.

Many years ago Ulf lived in Pittsburg. One evening he arranged a piano
concert on the same theme, Live jazz history. One of the tunes he played was
Gran Pa Spell by Jelly Roll Morton. After the concert two elderly women
approached him and thanked him for the concert. Then one of them said:  but
Mr Johansson, we had no idea that General Motors also had made music!

Ulf Jagfors in Stockholm

Information about the history of the banjo;
http:// <http://www.myspace.com/banjoroots> www.myspace.com/banjoulf
http:// <http://www.myspace.com/banjoroots> www.youtube.com/user/ulfjagfors
http:// <http://www.myspace.com/banjoroots> www.myspace.com/akonting
http://www.myspace.com/banjoroots