[Dixielandjazz] Gigs in Pennsylvania was] Muhlenberg Gigs

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 24 06:48:21 PDT 2010

On Jun 24, 2010, at 9:02 AM, Harry Callaghan wrote:

> Steve:
>
> Speaking of Pennsylvania towns, have you ever played a gig in
> Intercourse?
>
> While I'm not really up on my PA. geography, if memory serves me
> correctly, it is in somewhat close proximity of Blue Ball.

Dear Harry:

No gigs for us in either Blue Ball or Intercourse. However we have
done gigs in Bird In Hand. All 3 towns are close by, in the midst of
Amish Country. Those gentle folks are not into dancing, cars,
electricity or other modern conveniences. They farm the land the old
fashioned way, using anywhere from one to 6 horses to pull their plows
and harrows.

When we do gigs in Oxford, or West Grove, there are usually some of my
neighboring Amish farmers in attendance having arrived by horse and
wagon. They are transfixed by the music.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband