[Dixielandjazz] Cassette vs. open-reel quality

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Sun Jun 20 12:44:29 PDT 2010

All you state is true, Bud. The major problem for me was that tape was
subject to stretching, the movement over the tape head damaged the heads as
well as the tape, and Dolby compression meant that some sound information
was lost. On the other hand, for most people in most applications, tape met
their sound requirements.

Initially, CD recordings met and exceeded the needs of most people. Later
advances in digital processing techniques improved sound quality to the
point where imperfections in the sound reproduction equipment, especially
speakers, are now the limiting factors (not to mention our ears).

Still, I continue to be impressed with the abilities of some sound engineers
to be able to extract hitherto "lost" sound from the grooves recorded from
the dawn of the recording age through the early 40s. I'm referring to the
engineers at Archeophone, John R. T. Davies, Björn Almstedt, Dave Bennett,
and others.

Stan
Stan Brager