[Dixielandjazz] Cassettte vs. open-reel quality

Roy (Bud) Taylor budtuba at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 10:43:46 PDT 2010

The bigger issue is the tape hiss problem.  The slower speed cassette tape
speed will generate more than the reel to reel. Reel to Reel ran faster and
had wider tape so had more sound signal making tape hiss less.  Also, Dolby
compression helps a lot, so look for that I you are buying a reel to reel
tape recorder.  Dolby compression may also be available online to process
recordings after transfer to digital.  I don't think the tape head
technology ever reached 20,000 Hz for home units, but that is far more than
the human ear can hear and not a real issue.

--
Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band