[Dixielandjazz] Cassettte vs. open-reel quality

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 20 01:49:51 PDT 2010

With most formats being covered in this and the original thread [Recording
the music], I wonder how many folks remember, maybe used, Sony's Elcaset
format ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elcaset refers.  It would appear to have had
good specs but never achieved success in the marketplace; rather like
another short lived Sony format, D-MAS [Digital Multi-Audio System], a dual
audio/video recorder which used Video8 cassettes. I never went for Elcaset
but made many, many hours of audio recordings with D-MAS. After 21 years my
Sony EV-S800 machine is still working [at least in playback mode] and, as
when I can find time, material being transferred to HDD, CD and/or my
favourite format, the now almost defunct MiniDisc.
~~
John D