[Dixielandjazz] FW: FW: Hearing the music

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 15:15:42 PDT 2010

> I have no idea how it is in your country, but I think it would be wonderful
> if more people in the U.S. tried studying solos while driving.....it would
> be a welcome diversion from their stupid text-messaging.while behind the
> wheel.

And might reduce the population explosion (although sending messages
might have the same effect).

> Most of them had been recorded around 1960 and they went without a can until
> 1976, but I was in NY until moving to "Humidity City, TX" in late 1975.

It is very humid here.  Still, I keep my reels in the original
cardboard or plastic boxes, and they still sound good.  Having the
tape recorder repaired is difficult nowadays, and I cannot get
anoy=ther one in good condition here.  I looked at ebay, but bringing
one to Israel would be expensive, and then - what if it turns out not
to be as good as promised?  Returning it would not be very practical.

> The one thing that has never been explained to me though, is back in the
> day's of reel-to-reel tapes, we were told that for superior sound, one
> should record music at 7 1/2 ips rather than 3 3/4 ips and most machines had
> both speeds available.on them.
>
> Yet, when audio cassettes came along, they were recorded at 1 7/8 ips
>
> Doesn't that kind of contradict the theory applied to the reel-to-reels of
> getting superior sound at the higher speed?.

I am not good in theories; however, some tapes  have have been
recorded at lower speed, others - higher.  For the former I sometimes
need to reduce the basses; for the latter - never.

No idea why cassettes can sound quite good at their low speed, but for
a long time cassette recordings were much inferior to reel-to-reel,
even if recorded on rather cheap tape recorders.  Only later the
cassette recording technology improved, but one needed a good quality
cassette recorders to obtain quality siilar to that of cheap
reel-to-reel, especially if recorded at the higher speed.

> Someone once told me that professional studios even had the capability of
> recording reel-to-reels at 15 ips

Their machines have 7 1/2 ips as their lowest speed.

> I'm sure the answer is quite simple and I will not be in the least bit
> embarassed if it has to be explained to me, otherwise I would not have even
> brought up the subject.in the first place

Not by me.

> You must remember that you're talking to a guy who had a difficult time
> making the transition to the round wheel..

I do not remember square ones...

Cheers