[Dixielandjazz] FW: FW: Hearing the music

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 13:58:43 PDT 2010

Marek:

I have no idea how it is in your country, but I think it would be wonderful
if more people in the U.S. tried studying solos while driving.....it would
be a welcome diversion from their stupid text-messaging.while behind the
wheel.

As to tapes, I don't know the theory behind it, but I have about a dozen 7"
reel-to-reel tapes that I've been keeping in a bi-centennial pretzel can my
brother sent me from Pennsylvania and they're in great shape today, perhaps
protection from humidity?.

Most of them had been recorded around 1960 and they went without a can until
1976, but I was in NY until moving to "Humidity City, TX" in late 1975.

The one thing that has never been explained to me though, is back in the
day's of reel-to-reel tapes, we were told that for superior sound, one
should record music at 7 1/2 ips rather than 3 3/4 ips and most machines had
both speeds available.on them.

Yet, when audio cassettes came along, they were recorded at 1 7/8 ips

Doesn't that kind of contradict the theory applied to the reel-to-reels of
getting superior sound at the higher speed?.

Someone once told me that professional studios even had the capability of
recording reel-to-reels at 15 ips

I'm sure the answer is quite simple and I will not be in the least bit
embarassed if it has to be explained to me, otherwise I would not have even
brought up the subject.in the first place

You must remember that you're talking to a guy who had a difficult time
making the transition to the round wheel..

Tides,
HC

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)