[Dixielandjazz] FW: Recording the music

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jun 19 15:03:11 PDT 2010

Those that questioned my remarks about CDR "for music only" comments are
most likely right.  I just have this thing about trying to get the best
material.

My original supplier, a specialty house in the U.K. stopped making their
special "gold" Cd's available, and I took to buying in the local supermarket
like everyone else.  I had bad experiences with some makes, so went for the
best known brands in hopes of getting something better.  The Philips "music"
cd's I mentioned have been very successful, and they are still very cheap,
even if there is a "music" tax.

The Gold cd's were made with a special coating that created the gold color.
I used to have the technical data on all of this, but it is now lost.  Dunno
if it wasn't all hogwash anyway, but it made one feel he was using better
material, and it had been tested for a 100 yr lifetime.

I only make CD's on a standalone recorder.  I am extremely dubious about
recording to cd at a faster than real-time speed, as I have heard many drops
on recordings made this way.  It can happen on real-time recordings also,
but is less likely.

Marek mentioned having cd's go bad on him.  I would leap to suspect that
they had been done on a computer at fast speeds.  I stick with my belief
that it is a decent recording medium, and can be very trustworthy if it has
been recorded properly & is later handled properly.

Jim