[Dixielandjazz] The problem with listeners (was Louis, Duke and BeBop)

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Thu Jun 17 12:44:16 PDT 2010

Oh, I totally agree with your response.  If there weren't ANY left we would
be in even more serious trouble in terms of audience.  But the board has
been discussing why there is not a larger general audience for OKOM in
particular and I will stand by my answer.

I was a high school  band director up until 1980 and have a number of
students playing professionally in a variety of genre's. I also have a
surprising (to me) number of grads in the music education profession as
directors or teacher trainers.  One individual who came though my band now
has Grammy awards. Another runs a fairly significant recording studio and
sound engineering business in Las Vegas.  I understand and value the ones
who did learn and are functioning.

I do think they are the exception, rather than the rule and think our
audiences prove that point.  That does not mean that they don't exist.

I did not mean not to sign the last one.  It didn't occur to me that it
would go through the spell check without stopping!  How about that, it did!

Mart

Martin D. McKay (now) Designated Listener