[Dixielandjazz] The problem with listeners (was Louis, Duke and BeBop)

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Thu Jun 17 12:26:04 PDT 2010

You may be surprised to find that there are plenty of listeners out
there who do have the ears, the training, the background, and the
musical understanding to find comprehension and communication in the
music. They
HAVE had music in school. They HAVE played instruments. They HAVE grown
up with an understanding and interest in what is being done. They just
don't happen to be jazz musicians. Or they might even be that too but
are of the rare breed that also likes to listen to other jazz bands
playing once in awhile.

And yet they still get bored to tears when a jazz musician plays a solo
that goes on ad nauseum and is neither innovative nor particularly
musically pleasing.

Also, it surprised me to learn, after attending many jazz concerts and
festivals, that many (maybe even most!) trad jazz musicians are not
improvising at all, but are playing a memorized solo which they always
play the exact same way, including the brief references to some tv show
or commercial theme. If it's a good one, I still enjoy it. If not, it
gets old quickly.

Sorry but I had to stick up for those of us listeners who aren't
complete musical idiots.

:-)

Beth