[Dixielandjazz] The problem with listeners (was Louis, Duke and BeBop)

Phil Wilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 17 14:21:47 PDT 2010

Include me in that group.

I grew up in house filled with classical music, and I know that variations
on a theme is a musical staple practiced by all the greats. HOWEVER, I do
have some personal requirements if you want to hold my interest, and I think
I am far from alone in this.

If you are going to spend 10 minutes or more playing variations on a theme,
plainly state your theme first and then go into your variations. And do not
wander so far from the theme that I can't hear the original in my head
alongside your playing. And I mean hear the original without having to go
through five or six steps of analysis for every note you play. Yes, a very
short excursion into extended harmonies - one or two measures out of 32 or
64- can be like pepper on  an omlette, but a little goes a very long way.

If you do consistently wander off into and stay in some strange world of
obscure academic extended chords played in no recognizable rhythm, expect me
and those like me - that is: those from whom you want money - to not pay to
hear you in person and to not buy your recordings.

I regard that tuneless drek as the musical equivalent of a Eugene O'Neill
play. The man was an excellent writer, but everything he wrote was what he
should have spew'd out on a psychiatrist's couch about his terrible
childhood. I don't pay to attend such, and I am not going to pay to be your
psychoanalyst - YOU will pay ME (a lot), or I shall not participate.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.