[Dixielandjazz] Your thoughts on rushing

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Mon Jun 7 15:43:55 PDT 2010

I've been interviewing musicians in the Portland area for the past
year, asking them for their thoughts on the phenomenon of the rushing
rhythm section. I would like to write an essay on some of the causes
and cures for this music problem, although I will probably alienate
many of my friends in the back line when I do so.

Specifically I am interested in two types of rushing which I have
identified on OKOM bandstands, most often in pickup bands and jam
sessions, but sometimes in working professional bands, too:

1. A rather abrupt speeding up of the tune in the first few choruses.
An example would be counting off Ain't Misbehavin' at 108 MM (in 4)
and finding the rhythm section has taken it up to 126 MM, where it
more or less stays.

2. A gradual speeding up of a song from beginning to end. An example
would be counting off That's A Plenty at 120 MM (in 2) and watching
the tune nervously accelerate to 138 MM (or more) over a series of
choruses.

I am not concerned with the occasional song which is counted off at a
"wrong" tempo. That is an issue with the band leader, and probably is
another subject.

I welcome your thoughts and anedotes on the rushing challenge, and I
will give you attribution or keep you anonymous, as you wish.

So far, the most common quote is I have received: “It wasn't me, it
was him!”

So far, I have met only one musician, a successful solo female lounge
pianist, who said frankly,“Yes, I rush, and I know I do.”

Rick Campbell
Leader, Milneburg Jazz Band and Quiet Nights Trio
Portland, Oregon USA
(503) 234-9440
ricksax at comcast.net