[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen - Part Two

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 5 07:58:09 PDT 2010

Money is what drives most "professional" musicians Judie. Most of us
follow the money. Simple as that. To say we all do it because it's fun
is a huge myth. Most of us are trying to make a living and will take
any gig we can if it pays. Those who don't care about the money, do it
because it's fun, or they love it, are mostly hobby musicians and/or
amateurs. Not the professionals who have to make a living.

Would I hire a musician who played like Woody, but was not Woody. Of
course not.

Would I hire Woody? Of course.

We're beating a dead horse here. We both agree about his musicianship.
The article agrees with us that people go to see HIM first, the music
second. Woody says he is not a good musician. So what are we arguing
about?

Simply that you felt cheated when you went to see him play. My point
is simple. With all the Woody Allen on you tube, you didn't go there
to do your homework. You relied instead on a DVD of his European Tour
which would have been heavily edited to showcase his best moments,
much like the any studio edits out, or fixes the bad parts of CDs
these days. We've discussed this type of "editing" many times on the
DJML. Most of us (not me) agree that it should be done. I feel it
tends to misrepresent what the band sounds like in real time
performance. And that some folks will be pissed when the band and/or
musician in a live performance doesn't sound like the CD (or DVD)

You have talked with many musicians who played with him in various
venues. Did they lie to you about his expertise?

You resent his being "paid" to perform. What? HE is the reason all
those people pay big money to see the band. HE fills up the Club
Carlyle. HE filled the Opera Houses of Europe on his tour and the
concert halls in the USA when he tours here. People fall all over
themselves to pay big money see HIM and the band.

Yet you say; "to go down that low and still be paid to perform, is
very sad." Where is the logic in that? The man draws a high paying
crowd where ever he plays and you say it is very sad to go down that
low? To me what is sad is the bands that play OKOM on the cheap, or
for nothing.

Let's face it, even with 35 years of experience listening to OKOM and
having educated ears, you did not do your homework on Woody Allen.
Shame on you not him.

For those who wish to get educated about how Woody plays, and what
people think of him, go to you tube and see him warts and all on MANY
live visuals. Then read the comments. Some folks like him, some folks
hate him which is what I said when I posted that very fine Village
Voice Article on Norman Vickers' jazz chat list. Judie took a
paragraph from it, out of context, and responded to it on the DJML 2
days before it had been posted here. That caused a little confusion
and prompted Eddy's request to let people see the entire article.

That article speaks for itself.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband