[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen - Part Two

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Fri Jun 4 19:10:25 PDT 2010

In a message dated 6/4/2010 5:33:32 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

You  built up a false set of expectations about the man, expecting perhaps
the  second coming of Johnny Dodds.

No there you are wrong Steve. My expatiations came from  watching his video
of his tour in Europe when an old friend  of mine was playing trombone with
him. Had he played to at least that level I  would have been OK but he did
not, what 3-5 years later. I forget now when I saw  the video. I might also
had thought he would have improved since his tour but  instead, he was very
much worse. If you say any musician can have a bad night,  that I agree with
but to go down that low and still be paid to perform, is very  sad.

I have said it was a very sad disappointment. It wasn't a  matter so much
of the money but I had bought the tickets for my mom for  Christmas as her
gift and we were both looking forward to the evening. I would  have been just
as disappointed had I paid $10 to see him and would have walked  or rolled
in my case out just as quickly. It may very well be that my hearing is  over
sensitive but I have never walked out on a band before because I couldn't
stand the sound and that includes a lot of bands playing OKOM. After
attending Jazz Festivals, concerts, practice gigs, Jazz Clubs, etc for  over 35
years now, I have heard a lot of bands. Some good and some not so good  but
none as bad as this one player or the sound that came out of his horn and  who
got paid to play and should be sent to the practice room of any Jazz Club
before playing in public. In my opinion again of course. I am happy that the
musician he hires are getting good pay to play with him and I have talked
to  more than a few and they all say "It's the money" because it's sure not
the  music or the fun of it when they tour or play with Woody. Now, this is
not just my opinion but the same as those who play with him so I feel I'm on
 pretty good ground here with this opinion.

Let me ask again, if he were anyone else but Woody Allen, a no  body you
had never met before, would any band leader here, hire him after  listening to
him play?

Jazz Hugs

Judie