[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen - Part Two

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Fri Jun 4 13:32:16 PDT 2010

In a message dated 6/4/2010 1:19:41 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

I would  opine
that Woody Allen has done so much for the genre of traditional  jazz,
that we should have no problem thanking him by spending a  paltry $100
to see him.

Sorry but I still and always will disagree on that. I feel  sorry for any
new Jazz enthusiast who came to hear him and walked away with a  shaking head
and would never again try to enjoy OKOM because of how bad the  clarinets
squeaking and squawking was. I left during  the 3 rd tune as it hurt not only
my sensitivity to OKOM but my  ears.

It doesn't help us at all to have bad musicians playing OKOM  and then
expect to get a whole new generation of fans. Sorry but again I  disagree on
this one. For those who just wanted to see Woody Allen, fine, but  many of us
are not impressed by celebrities especially to the level of a  headache. I
enjoyed his movies much more and did not want to see him in  person in this
way. I also did a lot of bit parts and extra work over the years  and met many
celebrities and good actors. Seeing Woody Allen did nothing for me  as I
was not impressed at all even though I tried my best to ignore his playing
and enjoy those good musicians in the band. A couple I knew and had heard
before  at Jazz Festivals or gigs. If he thinks as he seems, that  surrounding
himself with good musicians will hid how  bad he is, he's very wrong to those
of us who have an ear for OKOM

Jazz Hugs

Judie