[Dixielandjazz] Pessimism is justified....... oh no it's not!!!

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed Jun 2 10:52:20 PDT 2010

I agree with Judy - there are thousands of young music majors
(instrumental and vocal) coming out of our colleges (US, UK, Japan,
Oz, and Euroland & many other places) who can read and play with a lot
of skills. There are thousands of community bands and orchestras, drum
& bugle corps, street bands and even non-guitar driven rock bands.

However, improvising jazz on the chords of songs is not taught well
enough, and there is too much dependance on written music. Getting
this part of basic jazz chops to the "yout"  is the difficult job of
the more experienced "senior" musicians.

Dave Richoux