[Dixielandjazz] Pessimism is justified....... oh no it's not!!!

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 10:24:50 PDT 2010

Kent Murdick wrote:
> . Because the music of the last 50 years has been played by people who
> are musically illiterate, everyone has forgotten how to read and they
> certainly can't solo over  the changes. That art is practically lost.
Not so, in the UK at least..... there are a lot of younger players (by
which I mean in their 20s or 30s) playing various styles of jazz who are
music graduates.  They can dep with reading bands and can certainly
improvise. Some of them, for example Graham Hughes are moving things in
a slightly different direction but they're not acid, straight ahead, bop
... whatever... Graham's band Brass Volcanoes played one of the street
sets at the recent Keswick Festival and attracted a huge  crowd of all
ages. He also plays trombone in our Big Bear Stompers and can always
find a really good reading  dep(sub) from among his colleagues if he's
not available.... to give you an idea of his range, he is also a member
of  New Orleans drummer Barry Martin's "Young Bloods".who do a UK tour
each year.

I haven't even started on the rest of Europe..... the Bohems from
Hungary, the Ophelia band from Norway and many more.

Jude

Definitely not a "chick" singer and I can read and sing most of the
notes in tune and in the right order :-)

www.judyeames.co.uk