[Dixielandjazz] Pessimism is justified....... oh no it's not!!!

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 12:09:55 PDT 2010

David M Richoux wrote:
> I agree with Judy - there are thousands of young music majors who can
> read and play with a lot of skills.
So it's a qualified agreement :-)
> He also said
> However, improvising jazz on the chords of songs is not taught well
> enough,
I'm not sure how easy it is to /teach /improvisation ..... all I know is
that there are older players whose idea of improvising on the chord
system is at best  hit and miss.  Our front line "youngsters", Ben
Cummings, Jamie Brownfield, Amy Roberts, James Evans, Graham Hughes and
many many others started out playing with traditional bands and there's
great mutual respect between the generations.  The young guys have
listened and they solo well. Maybe Euro youth are different from US youth?

Jude

www.judyeames.co.uk