[Dixielandjazz] Sam Butera & The Wildest (after the Witnesses)

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Tue Jul 27 17:56:48 PDT 2010

Butera was a good New Orleans boy as was Prima. Both were born and raised on
making music and were abot a generation (10 years) apart. As I was growing
up there in the late 40's/early 50s, Butera has his own TV show on (as I
recall) WDSU.  Butera was a wide open raucaus performer even then too. (No
disrespect intended. It was his style.)

The story of Prima bringing Butera to Vegas (overnight) and the genisis of
"The Witnesses" name, is legend of course, but the pairing at some level is
way earlier than that. The style, while not quite OKOM, was closely related
and lots of fun.  They will both be missed.

Mart

Martin D. McKay (Designated Listerner)
St. Augustine, Florida  (See!  I do learn!)