[Dixielandjazz] Sam Butera & The Wildest (after the Witnesses)

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 16:22:08 PDT 2010

Steve:

I just stated things as to what had been my recollection but it certainly
isn't worth haggling over.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and we'll say that Louis had the
rights to the Witnesses and Sam the Wildest.

The most important thing here is that their legacy is not getting lost in
the shuffle what with Louis' son carrying on.

Incidentally, I understand that the most recent New Orleans Jazz & Heritage
Festival had a poster bearing Louis Prima's likeness from a painting by
Anthony Benedetto, who we know of as Tony Bennett when he sings.

 I acquired a CD by Sam recently entitled "The Whole World Loves Italians"
that has him singing some ballads that really came as a surprise to me.
"Unforgettable" was one, and he also played a lush instrumental version of
"Misty" and naturally, a few Italian standards, in what you might wish to
call Prima style

Last I heard Keely is still belting them out at about 80.

Tides,
HC.

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)