[Dixielandjazz] First Tune of the night

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 13:26:12 PDT 2010

> For general audiences, we almost always end with the Saints. Introducing
> this last song as our "mystery number". They we all look at each other and
> say, it's a mystery, what is it, etc. <grin> Then we play the last few bars
>  rubato and slightly out of tune so that it is unrecognizable to many in the
> audience. This is followed by the drummer doing a New Orleans street beat
> and then a roll off into the song which gets everybody in the audience up
> and clapping along.
>
> Sometimes . . . gasp . . . the front line even marches out into the
> audience. Depends on how we feel at the moment.

Isradixie always does that - if the venue permits it - except that
they all march, the drummer playing just his sticks.

But then, they always play an encore - not always the same.

Anotehr Israeli band - The Stompers - seems to finish with the Saints;
however, we in the know always expect "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" -
they never finish without playing that.
Cheers